Thursday, September 10, 2020

9/11/2020 - Big Idea Pt. 2

 







Big idea 

Proverbs 18:2 brings to light foolish behavior that is not accepted by God. Godly wisdom and the truth of God’s Word are not important to a fool; they are more interested in sharing their thoughts. When understanding and opinions clash, they will always follow their own heart by saying what they believe to be right. An opinion in of itself is not wrong. It is not that people cannot have opinions; it is that they do not want to understand all views on the matter. We value our words before considering God’s heart. We have bent, reconstructed, and reshaped the rationales for why our opinions are practical, judicious, right, and righteous. Our opinions emerge supreme before hearing from God or heeding Godly wisdom. 

However, as followers of Jesus, we do not have the luxury of formulating our own opinions; we have “denied ourselves” (Matt. 16:24), so even our opinions should be rooted in the Word of God. An opinion outside of what God has said is ungodly, and it is a form of self-satisfaction and self-promotion that is dangerous. In those moments, we deny Christ by making our thoughts supreme and, therefore, an idol. The Bible calls this foolishness, and over the last few months, many of us have been guilty of esteeming our opinions and ideas above the truth of God’s Word. So today, we are reminded to stop and ask God for wisdom before we give our opinions.

Reflection

In this current climate, you may feel like you have to “air out your opinions,” but remember that at the heart of airing out opinions is a love of self and pride. Do not follow your heart (Jer. 17:9). Instead, before you respond, STOP, and seek to follow God’s heart and His Word. Remember that Godly wisdom helps us remember that if we love God and others, love does not demand to have its own way (1 Cor. 13:5). 

Personal reflection

In this current climate I have struggled with_____________________, and I have been guilty of ____________________.

Prayer

Dear Lord, I confess there have been times when I have made my opinion an idol, and my actions have revealed that I have placed my opinions above others and even above Your Word. Forgive me for valuing my opinion over Godly wisdom and today, help me pursue peace for mutual upbuilding, by refusing to air all my opinions and becoming better at listening to my brothers and sisters in Christ. In Jesus Name, I pray, amen!

1 comment: